Stratford Historical Society and Museum

News from the Stratford Historical Society and Museum, in Stratford, Gippsland, Victoria. We are open Tuesdays from 10am to 3pm, and the fourth Sunday of the month from 2pm to 4pm. Our postal address is P.O. Box 145, Stratford, 3862.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Victoria, Australia

Thursday, December 06, 2012

More from the Gilruths

We are absolutely delighted, at Stratford Historical Society, to welcome Russell Gilruth and his family to the conversation about the Gilruth family. Russell and his father have been trying to find Jack Gilruth Gilruth, and last night put him into an internet search engine yet again - and this time all our recent posts came up. We look forward to lots of ongoing mutual research.

In the meantime, we have identified what we think is Maud's photograph, taken at the same time as Jack had his taken with that moustache, and sent to his future mother-in-law in Dargo.


This is Maud:




It is signed with what appears to be the same pen, in the same style as Jack's photograph. And we know Maude always had a liking for large hats. This photograph is 1911, scroll down further in the post linked above, to see what she is wearing later. We almost wonder if it is the same hat reworked.

So what took a beautiful young girl from the remote mountain goldfields town of Dargo, to Melbourne, where she met Jack? 

We do know that for a time, after they married, they were in Sydney before going to New Zealand. Here are two pages from the autograph book of Amy Cahill, Maud’s sister:






(Our apologies to anyone who read an earlier draft of this post, where we posted another page from the autograph book instead - we are now waiting for someone to read the shorthand to be totally sure of who that signature is from)


We have one little piece more to add to the puzzle, once we can get another photograph scanned (which my take a while, as Christmas approaches)

But we would most sincerely like to thank HairyMancestors, who started us off on this journey - we would not have done it without you.


What a wonderful result.


UPDATE

But there is more - Jack's moustache photo not only reunited him with his family - it has won Best Mo in the Show over at Hairy Mancestors. Thank You, Inside History Magazine.

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I have been following your blog for a while now and I just wanted to say how much I enjoy reading. I especially like the ongoing story of Jack Gilruth Gilruth and his tremendous moustache!

6:51 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

6:51 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

Thank you Chloe - we have been having a wonderful time with this one. I am sure there is going to be yet more. I hear the patter of little feet. :)

6:55 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

My father and I would like to thank everyone involved with the research that has been carried out on Jack Gilruth. For decades we have not been able to gather any information on our family's history until now. There are only 3 male Gilruth's at this stage in Australia. Myself , John Gilruth (My father)and my son Jack. My grand parents , Jack and Zara Gilruth passed away when I was quite young, however, I still have memories of them. I must admit when naming my son Jack I had forgotten that was my grandfathers name and when my father told me that was his dad's name I thought my wife and I had thought of a great choice of name. Your team of volunteers has rejuvenated our quest for information on our family history.Well done to all concerned, your work is appreciated .

Russell Gilruth.

10:34 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

Hello Russell,

Now having a minute to search, I see that both Jack and Maude died in Newton, Sydney. Jack, son of Peter Gilruth and an Elizabeth, died in 1941, Maud in 1928. So her children would have been no older than 17, probably younger.

You can purchase both death certificates from the NSW Births, Deaths and Marriages, and Jack's especially should tell you a lot more.

2:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home